10 Conversation Starters
So you’ve been dating someone for a while, and you are noticing a lull in your conversations? What happened to those hours and hours on the phone, when you couldn’t stop talking to eachother? The time you closed down the restaurant because you forgot where the time went?
It’s ok. It happens. We get comfortable. But more importantly, we get to know each other. So many of these early conversations center around getting to this stage you are in now. It is about getting to know someone, learning about their adventures in life and their view on things that matter to you. Once you’ve gone over all these, there are fewer things to talk about and after you’ve covered the standard “how was your day” topic of conversation you might find yourself in a self-made hell of staring at the wall while your partner is mesmerized by the TV during dinner.
Part of keeping a relationship going is keeping the conversation going. Ever been in a relationship and suddenly a bit attracted to someone else? There is a good chance the ‘newness’ of the person played a huge role in that attraction.
Here are some conversation starters you might not have thought of. Try one over coffee, a drink, or dinner and see if you learn a bit more about your partner. More importantly, keep talking.
Conversation starters for relationships
- When you were in school, how did you love to ‘waste time’ or spend your weekends?
- What’s the worst movie you’ve ever seen?
- If you could have any animal as a pet, costs and practicalities aside, what would it be?
- What is your favourite number, and why?
- Where did you want to travel when you were 15, and did you ever go (Why yes, no? Would you still want to go now?)
- Is there something that really annoys you, but doesn’t bother most people?
- What was your favourite part of the last movie we saw together, and what was your least favourite part of (fill in movie name here).
- What was your favourite childhood sitcom?
- What is the longest book you’ve ever read?
- Which song always puts you in a good mood?
Some of these are basic and you might already know them about your partner. The main goal is to get a conversation flowing with a topic he/she isn’t expecting. You may find the conversation takes an interesting turn if, for example, you learn that your partner would love to have an elephant as a pet. You’ll definitely want to hear more about why that is, and it may trigger some childhood memories you didn’t know about and that they had long forgotten. And who knows, a safari trip may be in your plans next!
great post. thanks for sharing. I’d love to see more conversation starters and I’d love to see more topics. it would be really cool to expand on this some more.
ok def trying these tomorrow! I have a date and we’ve been going out for a few weeks now, so it’s not that long, but I think these are pretty useful regardless of how long you know someone. if anything it is an advantage that it’s all still so new so I can’t go wrong with any of these ideas.
This is hilarious. I’ve really struggled with conversation lately because we are so bogged down with life being busy, work, and then our 2 year old… we’re just too tired to really talk and we just end up being all snippy with eacother. Read this, tried the question of what her least favourite bit was of the movie we saw (wonder woman), and it sparked a debate around film making, other movies, and the role of women in film. It reminded me of the early days of our relationship again. thanks!